It has been 3 weeks, already, since the first day of school. 3WEEKS! It's going by way faster than I ever imagined. So much information to take in, learn, and absorb. I'm loving every bit of it!! So what have we been up to you ask? First week was orientation, Serv Safe class (I'll never look at a kitchen the same way again!), and lectures. Second week we went over basic skills and learned and practiced some basic things like pastry cream, modeling with marzipan, and making fondant roses by hand. And the Third week was where the real fun began.... and our patience was tested! We made different types of royal icing, did some string work, and finally started decorating on some cakes. Well, dummy cakes....but you get the idea. We had two main projects this week. Our Man cake and our Baby shower cake. Here are some pics from our class...
 |
| My strawberries and roses. My partners roses are on the left. |
 |
| My partner, Shenetta, working on her ribbons. |
 |
| Erin working on her dog |
 |
| Erin's super cute dog |
 |
| Chef Scott's polar bear |
 |
| So that's supposed to be a polar bear on the right. Marzipan is difficult to work w/ when it's warm. He looks like a mouse...haha. I need to practice more w/ the marzipan and not rush myself! |
 |
| Chef Scott made us some delicious fruit tarts out of our sweet dough and almond cream |
 |
| Chef Mark doing a demo on the man cake |
 |
| Cool shot from the mirror |
 |
| About to start on the bow of my man cake |
WORKING HARD!!!
 |
| Adding the finishing touches to my cake |
 |
| Chuck working on his cake |
 |
| Nayma working on her bow |
 |
| My finished Man cake! It would be nicer w/ Orange and Blue...don't ya think? ;) |
 |
| Ashley discussing her cake |
 |
| Demo |
 |
| Beautiful bridgeless string work by Chef Mark. Mine looked nowhere near as good...therefore no pics..haha |
 |
| Starting the baby cake |
 |
| Beading on my cake |
 |
| Demo on the French tulip by Chef Mark |
 |
| Enfin! C'est fini .... |
 |
| My French tulip |
 |
| All our cakes |
So, what do you think? Pretty groovy right?! It was a fun week, at least for me it was. I'm looking forward to all the new tricks and techniques in the coming weeks. Next week on our schedule is pastillage and pulled and blown sugar work. I've been looking forward to this the most! I CANNOT wait!
For more info on the French Pastry school and the bios of our wonderful instructors, go to :frenchpastryschool.com
Wow, you are able to fulfill your dream. I know you will do great because I have seen the examples of your pure talent. Remember you inspired me to challenge myself with fondant. Only great mothers sacrifice time with their babes to provide a better future for them. Not all of us are daring enough to do that. So we look for moms like you to show us it is possible to do what makes us happy and still give our kids all our love. Thank you for that, and know that back in Hueneme you have people cheering for your success.
ReplyDelete