Friday, November 26, 2010

Cochem Castle





About one hour from Miesau, by the Mosel river, lies the quaint village of Cochem. I highly suggest a trip to this village if you are in Germany. Cobblestone streets, narrow alleys with medieval architecture, cafes, shopping, pubs,restaurants...it's the perfect mixture of the past and present. I loved wandering through the streets and taking it all in. When I think of a what a small village in Germany should be like, Cochem is now at the top of my list. High on a hill overlooking the village is the Cochem Castle. This castle is what brought me to the village on this particular day. I, along with James, signed up at RTT in Ramstein for the Cochem Medieval dinner and tour. We both agree that this was one of the highlights on our trip...and that says a lot, because we don't agree on much! ;) As soon as we stepped onto the bus the entertainment began! Wonderful tour guide, loud drunk obnoxious airmen and soldiers....yeah, it got to be quite hilarious! The people you go with totally make or break this experience, and I must say, it was looking pretty bleak in the beginning. But we met some really, really cool people and they made this one trip to remember. The price of this tour included transportation (which was needed after all the wine consumed), tour guide, castle tour, and medieval dinner.
FYI...you do have to hike up the hill to get to the castle! The dinner portion was the highlight of the evening and the conversation, fellowship, and wine :), made it memorable. It was so much fun. I would definitely go again!

a view of Cochem and the castle

the main alley way that leads up to the castle

Finally!! I have my knight in shining armor. :)

Wine liters from back in the day. We were told that to stay warm you had to drink a lot, so priests were allowed 5 liters a day and nuns 3 liters a day. I totally could have been a nun, on wine consumption alone! ;)
  
View up close



No, the bib is not for the wine, it's for the turkey leg! I don't nurse my alcoholic beverages!!

TURKEY!! The smell was intoxicating....


Ready for dinner!


I don't normally eat like a dog...I must have been hungry. Wait, I was hungry and drunk...and that doesn't produce the most flattering of pictures.


Wish I could say I ate it all, but I didn't.

The lucky few who made it to the head of the table.

Minstrels seranading us with their vocal abilities



Some people from our tour


James getting carried away on a cow hide. See ya!



Me and my wine cup


These guys walked around before and after our meals so we could wash our hands. Awesome. I want one at my house!

A great night!

For more information on the history, dinner, and tours of the castle, click here:  Cochem Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment